Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Saturday, September 23, 2023

Short Story : Who Lies

 A Short Story 

Title: Who Lies

Author: Philip Chan


Author’s notes: the background of this story happened during the pandemic times.


*****

“Stop...Stop..." My scream didn’t stop the 7-year-old twins from fighting. They kicked each other, banging their heads on the floor.  


I raised my voice to my highest pitch, “Stop.” 


They finally stopped fighting.


I turned to Robert, “Robert... I told you not to do this several times in the past.”


“Mum, I'm Paul... he's Robert.” Paul pointed his finger at his elder twin brother, Robert. 


Robert was crying and pressing his hands on the scratches on his arm.


“Come here.  Robert, boys don’t cry. Now, tell me who broke the vase?"


Robert answered immediately, “Paul did it."


 Paul  jumped in and said: "He lied. I didn't break it."


Robert said: "I didn’t lie. I ain’t Trump."


“What has Trump got to do with this?” I was confused, looking at Robert. 


He proudly said: "My girlfriend Mary told me. No one lies except Trump.” 


Paul objected, “No, Mary is my girlfriend. She told me she likes me.” 


Robert started kicking Paul.  Paul kicked Robert  back. They started kicking each other. 


I screamed.  “Stop.  Don’t fight over the subject of girlfriend. You both are too young to have a girlfriend."


They both said together, “He is lying. Mary is my girlfriend."


I gave up, "Now… Go out and fight..."


They both said: "Mary told us not to go out. The virus is outside."


Now it's my turn to bang my head against the wall.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger