Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Saturday, September 30, 2023

Short Story : The Wedding

 Title :  The Wedding 


Author: Philip Chan 

Note: the Chinese version will be posted on September 30. 2023 

 

*********

“May, are you sure you are OK? You are coming back early next week for our wedding.”


“Paul, we’ve been on the call for almost an hour. This is an international call.” There was a short pause. “Everything is fine here. I caught a flu with little coughing and a headache. That was the reason why I didn’t answer your call last couple of days. Don’t worry. I’ll definitely be back for our wedding. I love you. Just wait for me.”


“Darling, I love you. Don’t forget our wedding is in ten days.”


Although May assured me that everything was fine, I sensed something was wrong.  Her voice was coarse and weak. It couldn’t be just a flu.


*****


The next day, our wedding planner called me. “Paul, everything is ready to go. The photographer whom you like already rescheduled his appointments so that he can be available. I reconfirmed with St Joseph’s church to ensure they are ready.”


“I know I am in good hands. Thank you.”


“Have you spoken to May?”


There was a silence.


“Hello are you still 

there?”


“Oh, yes. She’s fine.”


 “Her wedding dress has arrived. I am sure she will be the prettiest bride in town.”


“She designed it with a French designer. She got to like it.”


“Make sure she comes home from Germany at least three days before the wedding. This will give us enough time in case there’s any last minute alterations.”


“She promised to be back early next week.”


“That’s good. I understand she went home to see her sick mother. How’s she?”


“Not much progress. She has been sick for a while. It’s good May made the trip to see her. She’s a lonely woman since her husband passed away a year ago.”


“Excuse me. I’ve an incoming call. Will talk to you soon.”


“Have a good day.” Paul hung up the phone. 


*****


On the wedding day, May hasn’t shown up. Paul insisted on holding the wedding party. Only close friends and relatives attended the party. 


When the priest pronounced them “husband and wife”, it was Paul and his sister holding May’s picture.


*********

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger