Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Fiction Short Story - Hand in hand

 September 27, 2020 COVID-19 fiction short story - Hand In Hand 

   Written in both English and Chinese


“Nancy," I said to the nurse.  "Can you put my bed close to Pam's bed?"


  "Why?" Nancy said.


  "Pam and I are college lovers." I said.  "I want to hold her hand. She hasn't been able to speak for two days. Maybe I can communicate with her with my fingers."


  "I can do it." She drew the bed closer and I took Pam's hand.


  "Is she your wife?" Nancy asked.


  "I'm single. She should be my wife, but she left me." I said.


  "What happened? May I ask?” Nancy said.


  "I got her pregnant in college. She didn’t want the child, but I wanted to keep it.  We argued heatedly and she left me.” I said.


  I started to have trouble breathing.

 

  "Leo, take a break, you can tell me this story tomorrow.


   "I may not have tomorrow. There is a Chinese saying that lovers may not be born on the same month and on the same day but they can die on the same month and same day. I wish to die with her on the same day holding her hand.  Can you help me realize it?


  Nancy bursted into tears. 


  "Don't cry, Nancy. This is my last wish. You can fulfill my wish now, or leave this room." I said.


  *****


COVID-19短篇小說-手牽手

       中英対照

    

 “Nancy, ”我對護士說。  你能把我的床靠近Pam 的床嗎?


 “為什麼?” Nancy 說。


 “ Pam 和我是大學戀人。” 我說。 “ 我想握住她的手。 她有兩天沒說話了。 也許我可以用手指與她交流。


 “我可以做到。” 她把床拉近了,我握住了Pam 的手。


 “她是你的妻子嗎?” Nancy 問。


 “ 我是單身。 她應該是我的妻子,但她早已離開了我。” 我說。


 “ 發生了什麼? 我可以問嗎?” Nancy 說。


 “我和她在大學裡懷孕了。 她不想要那孩子,我想要。我們嘈吵了一場。跟著她走了。 ” 我說。


 我開始呼吸困難。


 “Leo 休息一下,你明天可以告訴我這個故事。


  “ 我可能沒有明天。 有句中國話,不能同月同日生,但願同月同日死。 我想和她同一日 ,握住她的手而死。 你可能幫我實現嗎?


 Nancy 哭了起來。


 “別哭,Nancy 這是我的最後一個願望。 你現在可以即刻完成我的願望,或者是離開這房間。” 我說。


 *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger