Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Voice of a Doctor

 Voice of a Doctor 

   

   Short story written in both English and Chinese by a senior Covid-19 survivor.


This morning when I looked at the mirror while brushing my teeth, I asked myself would I be lucky  to live for another day. 


Unfortunately this afternoon looking at my weekly test report, I realized my luck might run out.   Instead of being a doctor, I am a patient now.  Since adulthood, I have never cried once, yet now I couldn’t help but cried.  My tears wetted my report and the word POSITIVE dissolved.  


I picked up the phone and called my wife.   My 8 year old daughter answered the phone.  “ Hello Dad, I miss you.  Are you coming home now?” 


I did not know what to say but, “ Liz...um ... I love you...”


“I love you too, Dad” happily replied Liz.” Here comes mom.”


“Honey ... coming home soon? “ my wife answered the phone”It is raining now.   Be sure to bring an umbrella.  I have prepared your favorite dish and ... “ 


I interrupted, “Honey, I have to stay in the hospital for a few days  ...  I ...um ..,”


My wife started to cry.  Before I could say anything to comfort her, Liz was crying too.


Mother and daughter kept on crying. Liz’s crying voice got louder and louder. I was speechless but let my tears drop. My Covid-19 test report was totally wet...



医生的声音


  今天早晨,当我一边刷牙一边看着镜子时,我问自己是否很幸运能再活多一天。 


  到了下午我的测试报告出來, 我瞬間发现我的运气已用光了。 我现在不再是醫生,而是病人。 自成年以来,我从未哭过,但现在我真的哭起來。 我的眼泪浸湿了我的报告,陽性” 兩字被睙水溶化了。


  我拿起电话给妻子通話。 我們8岁的女儿接了电话。  爸爸,你好,我想念你。 你现在要回家吗?


  我不知道该说些什么,只説,丽兹......爸爸很爱你...”


   我也爱你,丽兹開心地回答。 “妈妈来了。


 “亲爱的……很快就要回家嗎?” 我的妻子 答話。现在外面正在下雨。 莫忘带上雨伞。 我准备了您最喜欢的.......” 


  我打断了她的话,亲爱的,我必须在医院逗留几天…………..”


  在我无法安慰她之前,我的妻子已开始哭泣。 跟著丽茲也大声哭。


 母亲和女儿不断哭泣。 丽兹的哭声越来越大。 我无話可說,而我的眼泪不停掉下来。 淚水把我的Covid-19测试报告完全湿透了...


Author: Philip Chan‬

‪Email: goodadvicechan@gmail.com‬

‪www.good-advice-book.blogspot.com‬ 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger