Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Short Story: voice of a doctor

 Voice of a Doctor 

Author: Philip Chan

Goodadvicechan@Gmail.Com

   

Flash Fiction:  written in both English and Chinese


Instead of being a doctor, I became  a patient. Since adulthood, I have never cried, now I couldn’t help but cried.  My tears wetted the word POSITIVE on my Covid-19 report. 


I called my wife. My eight-year old daughter answered the phone. “Hello Daddy, I miss you.  Are you coming home now?”


I didn’t know what else to say but,“ Liz... I love you...”


“I love you too, Daddy.” Liz happily replied. “Here comes Mom.”


“Honey... Coming home soon?” My wife, Cindy, answered the phone. “It’s raining. Be sure to bring an umbrella.  I have already prepared your favorite dish and...” 


I interrupted with a coarse voice, “Honey, I have to stay in the hospital for a few days  ...  I ...um ...”


Before I could tell her my report or say something to comfort her, she started to cry. I could hear mother and daughter crying. Liz’s crying voice got louder and louder. 


My tears flew down my chins like the River Nile and washed away the word POSITIVE on my report. 


*****


医生的声音


我由一位當診醫生,而成為了醫院病人。 自成年以來,我從未哭過一次,但現在我忍不住哭起來。 我的眼淚弄濕了我的Covid-19報告,陽性” 兩字被睙水慢慢溶化。


我拿起电话给妻子通話。我八歲的女兒,麗莎,接了電話。  你好,爸爸,我掛念你。 你現在可以回家嗎?


我不知道該說些什麼,只好説聲,麗莎... 我愛你...”


 “我也愛你,爸爸。” 麗莎高興地回答。  媽媽來了。


 “親愛的...快回家嗎?” 我的妻子辛迪接了電話。  現在正下雨了。 記住帶雨傘。 我已經準備好了您喜歡的菜...”


 我的回音已經變成淚聲:親愛的,我必須在醫院休息幾天………………”


我還未告訴辛迪我的報告,或者説些安慰的話之前,她開始哭泣。 跟著我聽到母女齊齊哭。 麗莎的哭聲越來越大。


 我的眼淚像尼羅河一樣從我的下巴飛下來,沖走了報告中的陽性二字。


*****


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger