Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Sunday, April 11, 2021

Short Story: a Dream Job

 Fanstory.org: A Deep Secret Contest

Winner: First Place ( April 2021)


Title: A Dream Job

Author:

Philip Chan ( author of Good Advice Part 5) 

Goodadvicechan (Pen name)


The door bell rang. I ran from my study room on the second floor to open the

door. I tripped on the stairs, fell a few steps and hurt myself. The accident

wasn't serious but enough to limp walking.


I opened the door. It was as expected; a UPS delivery. I signed the document

sent from ABC Global Accounting Company. I've been waiting for this letter for four days. I hated my current job and my boss. This letter could change my life. It could be an offering letter of a dream job. The job is titled: "VP - Global Accountant", salary 30% more than what I was earning, with benefits of stock option and one percent bonus of any contract over a million.


My hand was trembling while holding the letter. I haven't been sleeping well

for the last couple of nights. I had nightmares that I did not get the job.


On paper, I met all the requirements. They wanted people with a degree under one of three categories: accounting, computer science, or law. I got a bachelor's degree in Information Technology at MIT. They wanted at least five years experience in Accounting. I worked at their competitor, XYZ National

Accounting Company, for almost 9 years. I was interviewed by a local TV

station for winning a big contract for my current employer.


I had already passed two interviews with ABC. The first one was done by the hiring manager. He was a friendly and approachable person. I did well in

answering his questions. In addition to questions related to accounting, he

was interested in my knowledge about federal laws in areas related to

organized crime. I did excellently well on accounting and not too bad on laws.


The second interview was on English and Spanish Language Proficiency Test for listening and reading skills followed by a medical exam that included vision and hearing requirements. I was told I passed this one with flying colors.


Now I was waiting for the results of my medical examine and criminal record

investigations. I had confidence that I should do well because I didn't take

drugs, nor did I ever commit any crimes.


Even though, I was sure that I shouldn't have any problem, I was afraid to open the letter.


I sat down on the sofa and poured myself a glass of red wine. I had a sip and then opened the letter. After reading the letter, I finished the whole glass of red wine at one go.


The letter requested me to come for a final interview and discuss the terms of

employment. I called the office and set up an appointment for tomorrow

afternoon.


*****


"Mr. Shannon, we are very pleased to have you on board. Have you read the

letter of offer? Are you ok with it?


"Yes, Mr. Bond, everything was what I expected. Thank you."


"Excellent."


"When can I start working? I need to give my company one month's notice

else there is a penalty of two months' salary," I asked.


 "You can start tomorrow. You don't need to resign. You stay at XYZ and be our spy there. This is a deep secret between us.”


I was speechless...


*****


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger